Is you child having trouble achieving their potential in the classroom?
Please note Affordable Hearing is not currently providing testing services for Central Auditory Processing disorders.
As one of the many ways we make sense of the world around us, a lack or loss of hearing can have a significant effect on our lifestyle. Unlike our eyes and teeth, many of us take our hearing for granted and don’t get regular check-ups. But when something goes wrong, it can have a huge impact. If you are worried you may have any problems, even if they seem small, testing can greatly help.
Do you feel that your child as any of the following difficulties?
- Do they have difficulty remembering or paying attention at home or school?
- Do they have difficulty with reading and/or spelling, or ‘sounding out’ words?
- Are they confused about which direction sounds are coming from?
- Do they respond better in quiet situations but have trouble listening in noisy environments, such as with the TV, or in a noisy classroom?
- Have they had more than a couple of episodes of middle ear infections or ‘glue ear’ since birth?
- Do they become easily distracted when given more than one instruction?
If you answered yes to any of the above your child may have an Auditory Processing or Spatial Awareness Disorder. Early diagnosis (from 7 years on) is essential as some forms of therapy become ineffective after a child reaches adulthood. An example of this is the LiSN and learn program to remediate spatial awareness disorder.
Auditory processing disorders
Auditory processing disorders may have many symptoms including trouble reading and writing, an inability to hear or process sound in background noise, inattentiveness, poor capacity to concentrate, poor academic ability and so on.
Recent studies have shown that school children have the greatest difficulty with auditory processing when speech (such as from the teacher) is presented along with competing noise (such as talking from classmates & other classroom activities).
Auditory processing testing
Affordable Hearing is not currently providing this service.